Please review the list of frequently asked questions to see if your question is answered below.  If not then please contact us.


  • The CAATE does not provide a listing of contact information for the Program Directors; however, the CAATE website does contain a list of all accredited programs with contact information for public use.

  • The regular “CAATE” logo is reserved exclusively for use by the CAATE, unauthorized use of the CAATE logo is a violation of copyright and trademark law. CAATE logos, designed specifically for institution/program use, are available on the CAATE website; however, the process for the use of those logos must be followed to gain access to the logo. The CAATE logo may not be used until the user obtains written permission from the CAATE. Failure to follow this policy and/or non-approved use of the CAATE logo will result in a fine of up to $500 and administrative probation. The CAATE makes variations of its logo available for specific uses. Programs accredited by the CAATE have default permission to use the following statements or links:
    This Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
    Link to the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
    All CAATE logos must be used exactly as they were created, without changes in color, verbiage, typeface or otherwise altering the appearance of the logo(s). The standard CAATE logo is reserved exclusively for use by the CAATE.

  • If the question is general in nature, please use the question box in the FAQ section and your question will be answered as soon as possible. If the question is specific to a program, please submit the question via email, to the CAATE office (info@caate.net). Many questions may be able to be answered by office staff, but occasionally situations arise that need to be brought to the Commission for a definitive answer. Questions needing to go to the Commission will be addressed on the monthly conference calls if received a minimum of two weeks prior to the call. Final official responses will be emailed to the individual or programs submitting the question(s).

  • All Program Official changes with the exception of the Program Director, may be done on-line through eAccreditation.

  • Students should contact their program director to obtain a certificate as it requires the program director signature. The CAATE is no longer providing certificates showing graduation from a CAATE accredited program as all candidates for the Board of Certification examination must come from a CAATE accredited program.

  • You can find the forms under Professional [Entry-Level] Documents. There is a link to Program Director Change procedures and tables on that page. You can also click on this link to get to the Professional Documents page.

  • The CAATE does not track number of graduates by state. The Board of Certification (www.bocatc.org) may have the number of Certified Athletic Trainers by state.

  • Clinical Education

  • The preceptor does not need to sign the affiliation agreement. The person signing must have the authority to sign on behalf of the facility and their employees. For example, at a high school typically signing authority would reside with the principle or superintendent, at a clinic it might be the CEO, etc. For universities, it is usually a president, dean or their designee. There may be a contracts office at the university that handles these types of agreements. Remember if the preceptor is employed by one facility (i.e. a clinic) and is supervising students at another facility (i.e., a high school) then there must be an affiliation agreement or MOU on file for both facilities.

  • If both sites are under the governance and management by the university then no affiliation agreement is required. If the health center is managed by an outside entity (i.e. outside physician group or clinic), then an affiliation agreement would be necessary.

  • Standard 3: All sites where students are involved in patient care or observation-only experience (excluding the Program’s sponsoring institution) must have an affiliation agreement or memorandum(s) of understanding that is endorsed by the appropriate administrative authority (i.e. those bearing signature authority) at both the sponsoring institution and site. In the case where the administrative oversight of the preceptor differs from the affiliate site, formal agreements must be obtained from all parties. Please note that ALL sites must have affiliation agreements or MOU’s. Any experience the student completes as part of their education as an AT student MUST have an agreement. Both for credit and non-credit experiences, including internships, in Athletic Training must have agreements.

  • No, there is no longer a requirement for the preceptor to be licensed for a year. The program, however, should evaluate the newly credentialed healthcare provider ability to provide quality clinical educational experiences for students in the program while themselves transitioning to practice.

  • Yes, Standard 78, as well as Standard 79 (The program must have a process for site specific training and review of the EAP with the student before they begin patient care at that site.) and 80 (Students must have immediate access to the EAP in an emergency situation) apply to all venues where athletic training students are placed for clinical education.

  • If the chair or dean of the academic unit gives academic release time to a faculty member for clinical responsibilities, that person would be considered to fulfill the faculty status as described in the glossary and Standard 30 IF that faculty member is responsible to the chair/dean of the academic unit for that release time and does not report to the athletics department personnel.

  • Substantive Change Process

  • Substantive change is a significant modification or expansion in the nature and scope of an accredited program. Programs who are in mid-accreditation cycle and in good standing with the CAATE who plan to offer the Athletic Training curriculum at a different degree level than currently accredited, may use the Substantive Change document to make such a request. Notification of Substantive Change must be made by May 1st of the year in which the documents will be submitted (due by August 1).

  • This is NOT a one time offer. Programs wishing to use the Substantive Change process may apply annually before May 1 for submission August 1 of that year. In future years this will be an electronic process, but will follow the same deadlines.

  • The institution may submit the Substantive Change documentation for change of degree level as soon as the institution has received documentation that the degree may be offered at that level. Depending on the institution, approval may be at the institution level or may need to come from the state education board or other state agency.

  • The Substantive Change Process is available for programs that are mid-accreditation cycle. The Substantive Change Application must be filed after the institution has approved the degree level change and must be completed before the first cohort of the new degree level graduates.

  • Accreditation Application Fees + Procedures

  • Yes, the CAATE accepts credit cards for program transactions.

  • Starting with the 2013 – 2014 cycle programs will submit a flat $5,000 fee with their self study. All expenses for the site visit will be covered from these funds. Programs will no longer be invoiced for expenses after a site visit.

  • Self-Study Submission 

  • Under the CAATE system of accreditation, accreditation is a continuing process. Should a program not submit the self-study at the required time, the ATEP will be placed on probation and ultimately, may have its accreditation removed involuntarily. All self-studies are due July 1st. If a program's accreditation certificate says 2014-15, the self-study is due July 1 of 2014. A window of dates will be determined and the site visit must occur during those dates in the fall of 2014 or spring of 2015. The date of the site visit is determined between the program director and the site visitors (once they are assigned). The first online self studies will be the July 1, 2014. submissions.

  • Your site visit does not have to be in the same semester as it was during the last site visit cycle. Self-studies are due the July 1st before your next accreditation cycle. See question above for the definition of an accreditation cycle.

  • All programs will now submit Self-Studies through e-Accreditation. The Self-Study Tab in e-Accred will become available to programs 1 year prior to the due date for the program's next comprehensive review (July 1 of each year). Programs that are not within 1 year of their accreditation cycle will have access to the Internal Program Review (IPR).

  • The 2012 Standards do not specify amount or type of administrative support. The institution should use a system that is appropriate to achieve the stated mission and goals. Standard 81 addresses resources in general: Standard 81: The program must receive adequate, equitable, and annually available resources necessary to meet the program's size and documented mission and outcomes. Funding must be commensurate with other comparable health care programs. If no such similar program exists at the institution, then benchmark with healthcare programs at peer institutions.

  • That is correct. If the Program Director feels the program is non-compliant with any of the Standards, the PD should select No for the appropriate section. A pop-up window will appear for an explanation of an "No" response.

  • Only include AT core courses, not pre-requisites or courses outside the department that are included as basic science courses.

  • No, only indicated the number of faculty vacancies that were approved but not filled during the reporting year. (2012-13)

  • Please indicate only if you have been notified of the CAATE of any pending progress reports. Because the Annual Report Reviewers do not currently know which programs are scheduled to submit progress reports, this will prevent them from asking for an additional progress report on the same non-compliance.

  • Because the knowledge and skills in the Athletic Training Educational Competencies are of a higher skill level than first aid or ECC, students do not have to have formal certification in either of those areas. The content must be taught and evaluated, but there is no requirement to have "cards" to document instruction. Documentation might be completed through the curriculum module/matrix and/or in the course syllabi in which the content is taught and evaluated. Please note however that candidates who sit for the BOC exam MUST have documentation of ECC with a card to verify.

  • Ask Question

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *